Castiglion del Bosco
Meet The Winemakers
Castiglion del Bosco, one of the founding members of the ‘Consorzio del Vino Brunello di Montalcino’ established in 1967, started producing wine in 1954. Purchased by Massimo Ferragamo in 2003, Castiglion del Bosco has been revitalised, after major investment in the vineyards and winery, and has now been restored to its position as a leading Brunello estate.
The estate is located in the Val d’Orcia National Park, a UNESCO world heritage site, to the northwest of Montalcino, near Buonconvento. Its isolated location, away from other producers and sources of pollution, makes organic cultivation possible. Locally trained oenologist, Cecilia Leoneschi, who has been working at the winery since 2003 oversees the vineyards and the cellar. Today, the estate produces a refined style of Brunello, while expressing the inherent character of the grapes.
The estate’s 62 hectares of vineyards (51 of which are permitted for Brunello production) extend over two areas of the property. Located between 350-460 metres above sea level, the spectacular ‘Capanna’ vineyard, from which the Brunello di Montalcino is produced, covers 42 hectares facing south/southwest towards the Tyrrhenian coast. The 1.5-hectare plot at the top of the hill is known as ‘Campo del Drago’ from which the eponymous single-vineyard wine is made. The microclimate is strongly influenced by the sea with hot, dry summers and a constant breeze that reduces humidity.
Showing all 2 results